Licensing & Registrations
It is important in any business to ensure that you comply with licensing and registration requirements. If you fail to do so then you may face the risk of:
- Being fined or otherwise penalised;
- Being imprisoned;
- Being unable to collect payments from a client or customer for provision of goods or services;
- Being unable to continue to operate the business;
- Being unable to purchase or sell an asset;
- Being in breach of your lease and evicted from the business premises.
It is important to identify what licenses and registrations will be required before commencing a business to allow you to make an informed decision as to the viability of the proposed business.
Whilst some licences and registrations are obtained fairly quickly, easily and at a low cost, there are some licences and registrations that are difficult, timely and costly to obtain.
Before outlaying moneys into your proposed business we would strongly suggest you identify any licences and registrations that you will need to hold.
Unfortunately in a society that has multiple tiers of government an abundance of licensing and registration regulations exist at each level of government. Accordingly Council, the State Government, the Federal Government and potentially other governmental bodies and/or private organisations each have different requirements that must be considered.
From our experience, some of the more common licences and registrations businesses will be required to obtain include:
At The Local Government Level
- Signage licences and/or approvals;
- Tradewaste licences;
- Outdoor area/footpath licences and approvals;
- Registration of food premises and food licences;
- Town planning approvals.
At The State Government Level
- Liquor licences;
- Gaming licences;
- Business name registration.
At The Federal Government Level
- Financial services licences;
- GST registration;
- Trademark, patent and other intellectual property registration.
In addition to licensing and registration, you may also need to consider whether any consents are required to operate the proposed business.
How We Can Help
We can assist and help guide you through the licensing and registration minefield by:
- Identifying potential licences and registrations required;
- Assisting you in applying for the appropriate licences and registrations;
- Obtaining a business licence and information package free of charge.
For further information please contact: